Sunday, February 14, 2010

Family of One Celebrates Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is a pretty rough holiday for someone living alone. To tell the truth, it has never been a particularly fun day for me even when I was with someone. While I was strolling back from church today, I tried to think of one warm Valentine's Day memory from my days with G and could not come up with one. But, in the first years that I was on my own, the day was fraught with anxiety. People--well-meaning, albeit--would say one of the following: "Don't worry, next year you will be with someone"; "don't worry, you won't always be alone"; "don't worry, next week you will be with someone". I always bought into their sagacity. After all, wasn't Valentines meant to symbolize the importance of being in a a couple and never to stop striving for that happiness?

Several years ago, it occurred to me that I might not be with anyone any time soon and that was OK. And, even when I do meet someone lovely, I don't think the trigger will be Valentine's Day. But, that doesn't mean that I turned into one of those curmudgeons who says--"oh, that is just a day that the greeting card company made up to make money". I actually think it has a very sweet purpose.

Now I take the opportunity to send a few cards to my beloved treasures of friends and a few gifts here and there--old friends, new friends-- and I try to think of something whimsical for Mother. This year I sent her the Mardi Gras beads that my friend C brought me when she stayed with me for the Super Bowl and a selection of perfume samples that I had been collecting. She was thrilled and wore the beads to Costa's Fish House as soon as she received them.

Later today, I will fix a selection of treats including some foie gras that I brought back from Paris and I'll listen to some delightful jazz. I'll browse through the cards that I received and cherish the handmade Valentine from my 90 year old father. I'll think with warmth about those of you who are celebrating wonderful relationships and toast you with my Bordeaux.

And, I will start giggling, as I always do, when I think about the most wonderful Valentine message that I ever received from an--shall we say--admirer--and I am cleaning this up to a PG rated version for public consumption--I wish for you much copulation and foreplay in the year ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment