Thursday, November 5, 2009

Family of One Takes a Vacation

I wanted to let you know that I will be taking a holiday in Spain--Madrid and Barcelona--and will return in two weeks to update you on the adventures of traveling alone.

I must tell you that I have been very nervous these past few days as I contemplated being completely on my own for twelve days, the longest time that I have ever spent totally in my own company. I am hoping that I do not get totally sick of myself because I am not sure what the solution would be if I did. My trips recently have been filled with interesting interactions, so I am hoping the same holds here. Although I did go to Lisbon last summer and spoke to not one single person of interest for a week. But, I am planning a do-over trip there before long.

Last year, in Prague, I saw the most lovely lady having breakfast with her husband in the dining room at the Four Seasons where I was staying. She was a delight to look at because everything about her was just lovely. So, I went over and told her how great she looked and that she should be very happy that she had taken such good care of herself because it had really paid off. Later, I ran into her husband and her on my floor and I was petrified that she thought I was stalking her.

Well, about three days later, I was finishing up breakfast at the Four Seasons in Budapest about 10:30 and who walks in but her! She acted like she had seen Angelina Jolie and came running over to my table. She said that she had never gone out on her own on a vacation and while her husband was taking a tour, she decided to come and have a snack and browse through a Vogue that she had just picked up. She asked if I would join her in a glass of champagne and said how much my compliment had meant to her. It turns out that she had married this wonderful doctor rather late in life and they had a fairy tale life of travel and long, sexy weekends in their A frame home in northern Michigan. It was such a delightful treat to run into her.

OK, I am feeling better. Maybe I will meet someone like her. Or maybe not. But, I will let you know when I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment