Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Family of One Celebrates Thanksgiving

Thanks to all of you who have asked for an update of the travels and meals in Madrid and Barcelona. I have been just a tiny bit consumed with getting back orders filled for my customers, but I will have an update for you by the end of the weekend.

For now, I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and to tell you that I am looking forward to a lovely day tomorrow. I am going to a nice breakfast in a fancy hotel somewhere in Miami and, for the big meal, I am going to the lovely Azul, the restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental where I have requested a seat on the balcony overlooking Biscayne Bay.

Thanksgiving used to be a fairly tough holiday for Family of One. There is so much emphasis on joining around a table of bountiful blessings, overeating and storytelling with family from near and far. I was always invited to several dinners, usually with the word "stray" or "orphan" attached. I know that these invitations were well-meaning and the dinners were fine. But, one year, I decided to just do what I love best--make a reservation at a lovely restaurant and enjoy my own company as well as checking out what is happening around me. I never looked back.

Until last year. I was issued an invitation by the husband of my minister at the time. I thought--I need to not be so focused on this single person enjoying T'giving. He said that there would be a large group of their friends and he did not use the word "stray". There were indeed lovely people gathered. But, not one of them was from Miami and they were all a part of the same friend circle, so every joke, every reference had to be explained to me. I felt badly for them because it had been a well-meaning gesture. But, I could hardly wait to get home and revel in my own company and talk to my friends to exchange stories about the Thanksgiving table as we like to do.

So, I am looking forward to a six course tasting menu tomorrow and the food issue of the New Yorker to keep me company. There will be at least a couple of tables that will strike up a conversation with me. And, I will order at least one glass of Veuve to toast you, my friends far and wide, so very dear to me. And, hope that you are having a fabulous day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment